Last Updated on November 28, 2021 by amreos
Google Open Source
What is Google Open Source
According to our research, the Google Open Source domain was first registered on 2019-03-26, what is funny is that Google has its own TLD :), or domain extension.
The project is about google publishing its internal documentation for how they do open source at Google.
The documentation has three primary sections:
- Creating covers how Googlers release code that they’ve written.
- Using explains how we bring open source code into the company and use it to help build great products.
- Growing describes some of the programs we run inside and outside the company to support open source communities.
publish our internal documentation for all the world to see! One of the goals of the site is to expose (where appropriate) our internal processes related to open source so that other companies have the opportunity to learn from them.
Contribute to Google Open Source Projects
Anyone can join Google open source after they sign the CLA and get a GitHub account, you can get more information about how to start from this Link
Google Open Source GitHub
You can check it out through this link
What is Open Source Software
OOS or open source software is a software that is released under a license in which the copyright holder grants users the rights to use, study, change, and distribute the software and its source code to anyone and for any purpose.
Some copyright holders forbid using the software for commercial purposes like selling it, others don’t mind.
Each software comes with a license, depending on the copyright permission we might use or not use the software for specific purposes.
Open source software examples
- Apache web server
- Android by Google.
- VCL media player
What is GitHub?
A version control system, you can write your code, work with a team, get back to an earlier version of the code if you found your code unstable or has bugs.
GitHub is a code hosting platform for version control and collaboration. It lets you and others work together on projects from anywhere. This tutorial teaches you GitHub essentials like repositories, branches, commits, and pull requests. … Create and use a repository. Start and manage a new branch.
What Google products are open source?
You can get the complete list from this link
Where can I get open source code?
What Is Open-Source Good For?
Enterprising Organizations and also Individuals who have a good coding experience for several reasons
- Coast effectiveness, using opensource is cheaper
- Time effectiveness, it saves time because you don’t have to start it all from zero
- Trustiness, because many developers contribute in it which means byzantine fault tolerance
- license, which is also a part of the coast but it’s an important factor.
Why is open source necessary?
- Learning, for developers it’s important to gain experience by practice, so for the purpose of education it matters
- More open world, open source means freedom of using technology, everyone gets the benefits of science
- Collaboration, it means more people collaborating together.
What are the disadvantages of OpenSource?
- Compatibility, such as drivers.
- Maintenance, implementing, and error check.
- Security, a part of any successful software is the immunity to security vulnerabilities, security is a major issue in any opensource software.
- Support, lack of support because it’s an opensource, which increases the cost.
Google did a great job with opensource some of its products, it teach us something important, which is if you are number one in your field, you should share what you got so everybody gets a benefit from it.
Articles that could be interesting for you
Computer security Engineer , Website Developer , Ruby on Rails Architect, BSD in Computer and Control Engineering.