How to know your hard-drive type
First of all, if you have no idea how to split the hard disk on a computer, the title of this article ” How to know your hard-drive type ” may seem a bit vague. So, let’s first get a quick overview of it. The hard disk partition system is important as it helps improve the performance of the computer significantly and helps in the management of its spaces.
The MBR system first appeared in 1993 but had some disadvantages such as the inability to split the hard into more than four partitions, and the fact that it could not split the drive if it exceeded 2 TB, these were later avoided in the upgraded GPT system which allowed partitioning up to 128 partitions with many other advantages.
For now, let’s explain the methods available in Windows to see if the hard drive in your device supports MBR or GPT and this is necessary before installing a new Windows version on your device to get your installation correctly.
First Method: Disk Management
In this way, the type of disk partition can be defined by the Disk Management volume management tool built into the Windows system. To do so, just follow the next steps:
- Just right-click on the Start Menu or press the Win + X keys.
- You will see a select menu, choose Disk Management from the left side menu.
- Then click right on the hard you want to know how to split.
- From the bottom left side, tap Properties from the menu.
- You will see a new window from which to go to the Volumes section.
- In the Partition style, you will find whether the hard partition system is MBR or GUID Partition Table (GPT).
Second Method: PowerShell Command
PowerShell Command Prompt is the most advanced command prompt in the Windows operating system. It can be used to find out the hard partition system. Here are the steps to find out:
- Press right-click in the mouse on the Start Menu or press the win + X keys.
- You will see a select menu (Windows PowerShell (Admin).
- Now in front of you the screen of the command prompt.
- Start typing the following commands and press Enter after you type each command:
- TypeDiskpart command
- List Disk
- You will see a list of hard partitions with a column named “Gpt”
- This column shows whether the disk partition is GPT or not by having a * tag on the disk that is of this type.
- If the tag is not in front of the disk name it is of the MBR type.
- Check the image below.
Third Method: Setting Application
Microsoft has added new options in the Settings app that allow easy storage management for Windows 10 users. But this feature is currently available in beta versions of Windows 10 or (Windows Insider) but not in stable versions, and is expected to arrive after the (21h2 update) which will be released on October 2021. In any case, you can follow these steps to find out the type of hard directly from the settings.
- Open the Start menu.
- Choose Settings
- Then go to the System section
- And then Storage will show you a quick analysis of the space used on the hard.
- At the bottom of the Storage window, we find the More storage settings section under which the option “Manage Disks and Volumes” falls.
- Click on it and you will see the hard sections.
- Do not click on partitions, but right-click on the disk itself to display the Properties option.
- Now scroll down until you reach Partition Style, which shows how the hard was partitioned either GPT or MBR.
To sum up, In this article, ” How to know your hard-drive type “ we covered the 3 main methods to check out the type of your hard drive in Windows.
There are other ways to figure out a way to split the disk is MBR or GPT. But still, these three methods are the easiest ever.
Source: Computer World
Check out more Articles